Sunday, August 17, 2008

On the Road...

OK...OK...I get the point. Nobody likes my iPhone pics. Those are the only ones I can send immediately from the road!!

Day one was leaving work at 3:16 and driving to Madison Wisconsin. Not much to see in the dark and driving through Chicago sucks.
.
Day 2 we started our drive through the Wisconsin Dells...which was pretty cool, then through Southern Minnesota, and South Dakota to our Hotel in Rapid City.

Yeah it was a loooooooonnnngggg day. But we are here and we have internet Access. So some highlights.

On the road we saw Wisconsin Dells, Weiner Mobiles, Giant Cows on trailers, corn (Minnesota), bison, Antelope, Mule Deer, corn (Minnesota), prairies, corn (Minnesota), Petrified wood, Petrified dave and Christina (when the trailer wheel blew up in front of us), bad lands...I'm sure I missed other things...but last night we crashed with too much for one day stimulis


We also Stopped at the Petrified forest and drove through the Badlands (way cool). Unfortunately it got dark before seeing all the Badlands so we hope to go back tonight or tomorrow, plus go to Wall Drug.


A Pretty girl at the Petrified wood place.


Twilight mini in the Badlands.




Mini in Front of the Spam Museum (we didn't actually go inside).





Weiner Mobile in one of three states. We don't remember which?






Giant Cow. Seems like it SHOULD be in Wisconsin....but I think it was Minnesota. The lovely Christina Deming says Wisc.

Have tons more pics. Too many maybe. So this is all I'm posting today.

We also had a tire indicator light come on in the Mini, so stopped immediately and all the tires were fine....but maybe too much air pressure (did it according to owners manual and bigger loads), so backed them off to 35 lbs and everything is good. Otherwise the car is doing great. I love this car. Doesn't even seem to breath hard at 85 mph for 14 hours.

Tires are a big concern when you don't have a spare. I check them a lot.

We've killed lot's of bugs with the mini. I'm guessing 100 lbs worth on the bonnet. It was clean briefly. Will be finding a car wash today.

Today we are off to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Maybe back to Badlands or cruise around the Black Hills. We are not anxious to drive a ton.

More to follow....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Blown tires in front of you can do some damage! No wonder you were petrified. LOL
Amazing how far you can get in one day...that's a LOT of driving. I'm sure you're both suffering from what my brother calls butt-rot. Kinda feels like part of your butt is rotted off and gone 'cause it's partly numb from sitting on it for so long.

California John said...

Hey guys,

The Weinermobile, The Spam Museum, and a giant cow, all on your first day out!?! How great is that? Only in America! Never saw no worstje-autos over there in Europe. Man, the Weinermobile ...

Uncle John

Anonymous said...

Bruthe the Decorator! Bruthe is coming!

baby sister said...

We just finished up a road trip that we took with my husband's (Jerome) family (from France). I did some research on RoadsideAmerica.com to find fun things like the World's largest baseball bat...the World's largest vampire bat, etc. It turned out to be really cool.

Great shots of fun things. I'm making you a "favorite blog" linked to my blog. :)

seesterLaura said...

So love ALL the pics we get to see! A giant cow, weiner, and corn?! wow-sensory overload! lol-Very cool to share your jopurney with yas! So glad to hear you are a good defensive driver Dave and petrified was all yas were...love yas-

Wanderlust said...

Hi,

I left a message but I think it was on your dad's new blog. He has written a couple of times but the comments are out in cyberspace.

I love your travel log. I am amazed that there is a petrified forest in S. Dakota as I always thought it was in Arizona. What did I know?

Am here in Davison, going no where, at any time in the forseable future. Jealous, who me?

Wanderlust!